general education requirements (GER)

the hunter core requirement (HCR) refers to the completion of the 30 credit cuny common core (CCC), the 12 credit hunter focus (HF), the 9 credit writing intensive course requirement (w/wi), and the 12 credit pluralism & diversity requirement groups a-d (P&D).


*students must complete the hcr to graduate

*some hcr courses may double or triple count for different requirements

*any one class cannot count towards two of the same category

(ex: if a class fulfills two of the ccc requirements [ex/creative expression & individual and society], it can only officially count towards one, but it may also count towards the wi requirement or the p&D requirement simultaneously)

(EX: if a class fulfills multiple pluralism & diversity groups [ex/a & b], it can only officially count towards one group, but it may also count towards one of the ccc requirements or the wi requirement simultaneously)

CUny common core (CCC)

a. english composition (2 courses)

A. English Composition 1 - ENG 12000

B. English Composition 2 - 


*While ENG 120 or its equivalent is required, the second course can be any one from the approved courses listed above.

e. creative expression (1 course)

For the list of approved Creative Expression courses for this requirement, please click here.

g. world cultures & global issues (1 course)

For the list of approved World Cultures & Global Issues courses for this requirement, please click here.

f. u.s. experience in its diversity (1 course)

For the list of approved US Experience in its Diversity courses for this requirement, please click here.

b. math/quantitative reasoning (1 course)

For the list of approved Math/Quantitative Reasoning courses for this requirement, please click here.

c. life and physical science (1 course)

For the list of approved Life and Physical Science courses for this requirement, please click here.

d. scientific world (1 course)

For the list of approved Scientific World courses for this requirement, please click here.

h. individual and society (2 courses)

For the list of approved Individual and Society (Humanities) courses for this requirement, please click here.

For the list of approved Individual and Society (Social Sciences) courses for this requirement, please click here.

*You must choose one course from the Humanities division and one course from the Social Sciences division in order to fulfill this requirement.

*Some courses in these categories carry more than 3 credits (the “STEM variant” courses). In such cases, three credits will apply to fulfilling the Common Core; all of the course’s credits will apply to the major. A particular STEM variant course may appear in more than one area of the Common Core. When this occurs, students may choose which area of the Common Core they want the course to fulfill. 

hunter focus (hf)

foreign language

The Hunter Focus requires all students to take 4 courses of non-English language study. If you are already proficient in a non-English language and haven’t declared a minor, second major or certificate program, you must choose a Concentrated Study, which should be discussed with your advisor.

All students must demonstrate foreign language proficiency at the 12-credit level or its equivalent. In each language a required course sequence (12 credits) is offered: Elementary I and II (2 three-credit courses or 1 six-credit intensive course) and Intermediate I and II (2 three-credit courses or 1 six-credit intensive course). The Elementary three-credit courses are usually numbered 10100 and 10200 and the Intermediate three-credit courses are usually 20100 and 20200. Intensive courses are not offered in all languages.

There are a number of ways to fulfill the Hunter Focus Requirement:

  • Complete four semesters (12 credits) of a non-English language at the college level.

  • Qualify for a full language exemption, then declare a 12-credit Concentrated Study.

  • Show partial proficiency in a language other than English, then declare a Concentrated Study for the remaining 3-9 credits

Partial Exemption: Students may be exempted from one or more classes towards the requirement of 4th-semester proficiency by virtue of taking an appropriate placement exam. Students who wish to continue studying a language they have previously learned elsewhere (in high school, while abroad, at home, etc.) must first take a placement exam with the appropriate foreign language department. The results of the placement may exempt students from having to take courses below the level at which they are placed. 

Complete Exemption: Students may be exempted from having to take any classes towards the requirement of 4th-semester proficiency by virtue of any of the following:

1. Successful completion of high school courses. Students who have successfully completed 4 years of one foreign language in high school should apply for an exemption with the Coordinator of Academic Appeals; an official high school transcript is required. Students who have passed a language Advanced Placement Test of the College Board with a grade of 5, 4, or 3 should contact the Office of Admissions.

2. Passing at least one advanced college foreign language or literature course that has a 4th-semester level prerequisite in that language.

3. Competency demonstrated through a Hunter-approved proficiency examination. To arrange for an examination contact the appropriate department office; if the language in question is not taught at Hunter College contact the dean of the School of Arts & Sciences.

4. Presentation of foreign secondary school documentation. Students who have graduated from a high school outside the United States in which the language of instruction was other than English may be exempted from the foreign language requirement upon presentation of a high school or secondary (equivalent) transcript and/or diploma.


5. Presentation of foreign university documentation. Students who present appropriate evidence that they have completed one or more semesters of full-time study at a college or university outside of the United States in which the language of instruction was other than English may be exempted from the foreign language requirement. Native speakers of English who participated in a study-abroad program or a program specifically designed for foreigners may be exempted from the foreign language requirement if they provide sufficient evidence of their proficiency in the foreign language.


Note: an exemption from a language requirement does not yield any credit unless the exemption is based on successful completion of college courses

Hunter College currently offers the following programs to meet the foreign language requirement:

Arabic (ARB), Chinese (CHIN), French (FREN), German (GRMN), Greek (GRK), Hebrew (HEBR), Italian (ITAL), Japanese (JPN), Latin (LAT), Polish (POL), Portuguese (PORT), Russian (RUSS), Spanish (SPAN), Swahili (SWA), Yoruba (YOR).

concentrated study

The Concentrated Study is a requirement that encourages study outside of your declared major. If you have completed your foreign language proficiency (the equivalent of 4 semesters), you do not need to take classes towards a Concentrated Study.


To ensure that this requirement is satisfied correctly Advising strongly recommends students meet with their advisor for clarification and proper next steps. If you are pursuing a minor, second or third major, or certificate, you do not need to declare a Concentrated Study to complete your Hunter Focus credits.

transfer students

What if you’re a CUNY transfer?

You must still complete the Hunter Focus requirements.

How many Hunter Focus (HF) credits will you need?
  • If you are transferring less than 30 credits, you will need 12 HF credits.

  • If you are transferring more than 30 credits without an AA/AS degree, you will need 9 HF credits.

  • If you are transferring with an AA/AS degree, you will need 6 HF credits.

What if you’re a transfer student matriculating into a baccalaureate program?

You must complete 12 HF credits.

Have you attended a CUNY senior college?

You can apply any completed “College Option” credits from your prior CUNY senior college toward your HF requirements.

If you have already fulfilled the foreign language requirement, you need to apply the Hunter Focus courses towards a minor, second major, or certificate program. Please meet with your advisor to discuss your path toward a Concentrated Study.

writing intensive (wI)

Strong writing skills are an integral factor of your liberal arts education, and will impact your career in the future. With this in mind, Writing Intensive courses are part of the Hunter Core Requirement.

You are required to complete 3 Writing Intensive courses.

You can meet this requirement and some of your CUNY Common Core requirements simultaneously; look for classes listed in the Catalog with a (W) or (WI) to make sure the class you’re taking meets the Writing Intensive requirement. Some classes may explicitly state "Writing Intensive" in the course description.


You may also use courses from your major or minor to fulfill this requirement.

transfer students

How many “W” courses do you need?
  • If you’re transferring less than 31 credits, you need 3 W classes.

  • If you’re transferring 31-59 credits, you need 2 W classes.

  • If you’re transferring 60 or more credits, you need 1 W class.

pluralism & diversity (P&d)

Pluralism and Diversity classes are meant to promote an informed world view and enhance your college experience.

You can meet this requirement and some of your CUNY Common Core requirements simultaneously. The source of these classes can also be part of your major or minor. One course must be taken from each group below (A, B, C & D).

A. Non-European societies, particularly those of Africa, Asia, Latin America, or those indigenous to the Americas (1 course)

B. African Americans, Asian Americans, Latino Americans, or Native Americans (1 course)

C. Women and/or issues of gender or sexual orientation (1 course)

D. Europe (1 course)

Choose from the list of approved courses for the P&D Requirement.

transfer students

How many Pluralism and Diversity classes do you need?

  • If you’re transferring less than 31 credits, you need 4 classes. 

  • If you’re transferring more than 31 credits, you need 2 classes.

If you need to complete less than 4 classes, the courses cannot come from the same group.

majors, Electives, Minors, Certificates, Additional and Combined Majors


A major is a concentration of courses in a particular subject area. Your major should reflect your interests and the career options you may want to pursue after graduation. Remember that successful people in many careers choose a wide range of majors.

Foundational courses (sometimes called prerequisites or "pre-req's") must be completed before declaring a major, or before taking more specialized courses in the major. Foundational courses may count towards the requirements of some majors, but often they do not. They might be Hunter Core Requirement courses or electives, depending upon the major.

A major for a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree usually consists of 24 to 45 credits, while a major for a Bachelor of Science (BS) degree can be 60 credits or more.


All students must declare and complete a major to receive a degree. Your major determines specific classes to take, and when. To make sure you’re on track to graduate, make an appointment with your advisor to discuss the unique courses required by your major and minor.

Check out the full major (and minor) list here.


With over 49 different undergraduate minors, you have the opportunity to pursue numerous topics that interest you. You may find that you have already taken HCR and elective courses that apply to a minor. Minors require 12-18 credits, and you can declare up to 2 minors.

Many colleges and universities require a minor, but Hunter College does not. Fulfilling the requirements for a minor is an option for students who want to document abilities in an academic field in addition to their major(s).


In order to graduate you must have earned at least 120 credits. Often this means that even if other degree requirements such as GER/HCR and your major have been fulfilled, you will need to take additional classes to reach 120 credits. This is actually good news, because you can use your remaining credits to explore new areas of study, satisfy your curiosity, and take advantage of exciting opportunities which might not fit into other requirements.


Any courses or credits necessary to reach 120 but do not fit into any other category are called electives. What kind of courses can be electives? Nearly anything. Consult your advisor, and consider the wide-open possibilities when choosing what to do with these remaining credits.


Electives allow you to branch out from your chosen field of study. You can use electives to explore different subjects, enrich your experience with new interests, focus your studies, or even add a second major or minor expertise. Try out an Art History class, give African Dance a shot, or consider a Creative Writing minor. Your electives can help you become a more well-rounded student.


Are you passionate about social change? Do you want to apply your education to making your city and your community a better place? Do you want help empower people to rise above oppression? Perhaps you should consider one of Hunter's two certificate programs in Public Policy or Human Rights.


Whether you’re passionate about social justice or looking to enact change, Hunter’s certificate programs in Public Policy or Human Rights are an excellent option to build out your education. Though they do not support major requirements, certificates are similar in scope to major programs and should be reviewed by your advisor.

combined ba/ma programs

For those highly motivated students seeking a combined degree, Hunter offers the opportunity to earn a Masters Degree alongside their Bachelors degree. Requirements vary by each department, so please contact your advisor to discuss how best to achieve your dual degree.

Get an idea of what accelerated degrees are offered here.

additional majors

Every student must complete at least one (1) major to earn a BA or BS degree. Students pursuing a BA can declare a second major, also called a double major. In fact, one can pursue up to three BA degree programs.

For each additional major you must also fulfill all of the foundational courses and any other requirements that go along with them. This can add up to a lot of credits, often more than 120. Consult your advisor to determine if this might be the right choice for you.